THIS BLOG HAS MOVED

Dear reader, this blog was a nice place for quite a while to share my thoughts and stories. Meanwhile I got a new website and so I continue writing on my new's site blog.

HOP OVER TO THE NEW BLOG

Thank you.

Liebe Leserin, dieser Blog war für lange Zeit ein sehr netter Ort, meine Gedanken und Geschichten mit dir zu teilen. Inzwischen habe ich eine neue Website erstellt und werde jetzt den Blog dort fortsetzen.

GEH EINFACH ZUM NEUEN BLOG,

und: "Danke!"

Inspiring Berlin and a baaaad cold

Mittwoch, 7. Dezember 2011

Today I feel like a man, at least concerning their whining when they got a cold. Usually they let you know that these might be the last hours of their life :-). While sniffing and sneezing laying in my bed notebook on knees I try to work a bit: Catching up with the comments in my mailbox and blogging.

Berlin Graffiti

I brought my cold with me from the rainy and cold weather we had this weekend, when I enjoyed my birthday present, which I got from my sweetheart: a trip to Berlin. To escape from the rain we made a cultural museum/restaurant/club/event hop of it.

What do you like when it's cold and cloudy outside? For me it's some sweet and so I was really drawn to visit "Ritter Sport" Chocolate-Museum to dive in the warmth of a creamy hot sweet stream of chocolate, to imagine all the different tastes and the world of colorful chocolate products, to figure out, how it is done, to choose one of the thirty ingredients to make my own. Let it rain outside. I'm happy here.

 

 

 

 

 

Around the corner we came to one of Berlin's beautiful Christmas exhibitions on the historical "Gendarmenmarkt" where you can find all sorts of arts and crafts-

And since it was not enough to eat the sweets we filled our hungry stomachs in this beautiful Art Nouveau Restaurant.

Amici

Next morning – cold and rainy again – design should be our inspiration. You all might heard something about the famous Bauhaus style of 1925-1932 founding essential parts of what we call modern design nowadays. So we headed over to the Bauhaus exhibition.

Would you imagine that this  (quilt) pattern which we would call contemporary is from 1925something, nearly 85 years old? You definitely should have a look of the bauhaus textile style. What we saw in this exhibition was so inspiring and even timeless in its simplicity and elegance. 

And if this was not enough inspiration we continued our tour and ended at the "Berlinische Galerie" where the showcase design of Berlin artists from the last hundred years.

J.Mayer did the entrance hall by decorating it with an oversized carpet. Data coded paper is what gives him his ideas. Don't miss to see more from his design here.

The evening we spent over the roofs of Berlin in a scene club called "Solar" where you have a wonderful view of the sea of lights.

 

 

Sunday was family day – a visit by my honey's brother, sister in law, nieces. But at the end of the day the highlight, not only of the evening but of the whole trip – a journey into a magic, colorful world of fantasy and dreams, an "ooh" and a "wow" for eyes and ears – Christmas show in Friedrichstadtpalace.

Wasn't it worth the worst cold?

Have you ever been to Berlin and what did inspire you?

Heute fühle ich mich wie ein Mann, zumindest was das Rumjammern über eine Erkältung betrifft. Männer lassen uns dann ja gewöhnlich wissen, dass sie möglicherweise nur noch wenig Stunden zu leben haben :-). Während ich hier herumschniefe und niese, versuche ich ein bisschen im Bett an meinem Laptop zu arbeiten, meine Mails zu beantworten und meinen Blog zu schreiben.

Die Erkältung habe ich mir in Berlin eingefangen, bei diesem nasskalten Wetter das wir hatten, eine Wochenendstädtereise, die mir Martin zu meinem Geburtstag geschenkt hat. Um dem Regen möglichst zu entfliehen machten wir auf Kultura in Museen, Restaurants, Clubs und bei Events.

Was magst du, wenn es draußen kalt und bedeckt ist? Ich hab dann gerne etwas Süßes und so zog es mich zum "Ritter Sport" Chocolate-Museum , um dort einzutauchen in die Vorstellung der Wärme von einem Strom aus süßer, heißer, flüssiger Schokolade, von verschiedensten Geschmackssorten und farbenfrohen Produkten. Herauszufinden, wie die das alles machen und von 30 Zutaten etwas auszuwählen, um die eigene Schokolade zu kreieren. Lass es draußen ruhig regnen, ich bin glücklich hier.

Um die Ecke war einer von Berlins schönen Weihnachtsmärkten, der am Gendarmenmarkt, wo es alle erdenklichen künstlerischen und handwerklich gefertigten schönen Dinge zu bestaunen gibt. Die vom Bummeln hungrig gewordenen Mägen wurden dann im wunderschönen Jugendstilrestaurant "Amici" besänftigt.

Der nächste morgen erwartete uns genauso kalt und regnerisch und deshalb beschlossen wir einen Designtag zu machen. Wahrscheinlich kennst du den berühmten Bauhausstil (1925 –33), der ganz wesentlich die zeitgenössische Formensprache geprägt hat. Natürlich führte uns unser Weg zur Bauhaus exhibition.

Weiter ging es zur Berlinischen Galerie, die Berliner Künstler und Designer mit Werken aus den letzten hundert Jahren zeigt. Sehr interessant ist die Arbeit des Architekten. J. Mayer, man sollte einen Blick auf seine Werke werfen, die hauptsächlich von Datensicherungsbriefpapier abgeleitet sind.

Abends genossen wir das Lichtermeer von Berlin in einem Restaurant, das über den Dächern liegt.

Sonntag war ein Familientag, wir besuchten Martins Bruder, doch abends dann das Highlight nicht nur des Tages, sondern der Reise: Ein Ausflug in die phantasievolle, bunte, schillernde, märchenhafte Welt, ein Augen- und Ohrenschmaus bei der Weihnachtsshow im Friedrichstadtpalast.

War diese Reise nicht die schlimmste Erkältung allemal wert?

Wann warst du das letzte Mal in Berlin und was hat dir besonders gut gefallen?

9 Kommentare:

Ailsa (Cape Pincushion) hat gesagt…

Wow, thanks for sharing your trip to Berlin. Very inspiring. I have been once to Berlin in 2002. I hitch-hiked there from Stuttgart, where I was studying, for a weekend of sight-seeing. It was awesome, I got to see all the amazing art and history museums. I will never forget it!

Anonym hat gesagt…

Yes, it looks like a great trip, even if you did get a cold! The links are interesting - thx.

Michi hat gesagt…

Liebe Brigitte!
Zuerst einmal baldige Besserung, eine Verkühlung dauert mit Medikamenten 1 Woche und ohne 7 Tage, da muss man durch!
Tolle Dinge hast du besucht, war ich wirklich schon 2x in Berlin? Gefallen hat es mir auf jeden Fall, eine großartige Stadt im Aufbruch!
Liebe Grüße
Michi :)

Esch House Quilts hat gesagt…

What a lovely weekend! That Bauhaus textile is wonderful as are all the other inspiring places you visited. I hope you feel better soon.

Carol hat gesagt…

I know what you mean about the whining. :) Thanks for sharing the pictures and links - Bauhaus and J.Mayer are very inspiring.

Trudi hat gesagt…

What an inspirational trip indeed! I so love Ritter Sport, reminds of my childhood in Germany :) And, I think I've had the fastest trip to Berlin ever, back in the late 80's, the days of the corridor and the wall and the cold war - interesting :) Never saw any of it :( Hope you feel better soon, but definitely worth it I think :)

Maureen T. hat gesagt…

Thank you for sharing such beauty and inspiration!! What a magical birthday present! I have always wanted to visit Berlin and hope to one day. Anything from the 20's inspires me especially the architecture.

Heather Kuhn Roelker hat gesagt…

Wonderful photos! I have not been to Berlin, but it is at the top of the list on our next trip to Germany. I need to brush up on my German...I love that I found your blog!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com hat gesagt…

You have made me very anxious to see Berlin. Your photos are very inspirational and I can hardly wait for our stay there. Only 4 days, then on to Poland.

.

 
site design by designer blogs